Avada Kedavra, known as the Death Curse, is the most powerful of the Unforgivable spells. Three spells, Avada Kedavra, Imperio, and Crucio, are featured in the Hogwarts Legacy.
In the Harry Potter books, using any of them on another person is enough to get you imprisoned for life in Azkaban, but in Hogwarts Legacy you will have the opportunity to learn Avada Kedavra and use it against enemies in the world.
In the Harry Potter lore, Avada Kedavra is accompanied by a blinding flash or jet of green light, and can only be countered with a sacrificial defense that used the power of love. But that won’t bring you much luck in Hogwarts Legacy.
How to Get Crucio
To acquire the Crucio spell in Hogwarts Legacy, you must progress through Sebastian Sallow’s quest line. Here’s how you can obtain the Crucio spell:
- Ensure that your character reaches at least level 16 to unlock the quest associated with the Crucio spell.
- Locate and begin the quest titled “Bloodline” within Sebastian Sallow’s quest line. This quest becomes available once you reach the required level.
- While undertaking the “Bloodline” quest, you will encounter a locked door that can only be opened using the Crucio spell. During this moment, you will be presented with a dialogue choice. Opt for one of the following options:
- “I want to learn the Cruciatus spell. But you better put it on me.”
- “Teach me the Cruciatus spell, and I’ll put it on you.”
- After making your dialogue selection, confirm your choice to learn the Crucio spell.
The Crucio spell inflicts excruciating pain upon your adversaries. It is crucial to exercise responsible usage and consider the repercussions of your actions within the game.
How to Get Imperio
To obtain the Imperio spell in Hogwarts Legacy, you must progress through Sebastian Sallow’s quest line. Here’s how you can acquire the Imperio spell:
- Level up your character until you reach level 17 in the game. This will unlock the quest necessary for obtaining the Imperio spell.
- Engage in Sebastian Sallow’s storyline and complete the quest called “In the Shadow of Time.” Follow the objectives and progress through the quest until you reach the relevant stage.
- During the “In the Shadow of Time” quest, Sebastian Sallow will offer to teach you the Imperius spell. At this point, you will need to select the following dialogue option:
- “Yes, I want to learn the Imperius spell.”
- After choosing the dialogue option to learn the Imperio spell, confirm your choice to proceed.
The Imperio spell grants you the power to control and manipulate the actions of your enemies. Utilize it wisely and responsibly throughout your adventures at Hogwarts.
How to Get Avada Kedavra
To unlock Avada Kedavra in Hogwarts Legacy, you must first complete a series of quests in Sebastian’s quest line.
It’s important to note that some of these quests can be skipped, but the last one, “The Fatal Relic,” which you must complete, is crucial to unlocking the killing spell.
You need to reach level 28 to complete it, which is several levels higher than the last quest, which means you’ll probably be trying to complete this quest after the main story is complete.
After completing the quest, which takes you into a cave filled with infernals, you’ll have to engage in a brief battle with a character we won’t name, after which you’ll be given the opportunity to learn Avada Kedavra.
Since Hogwarts Legacy has no morality system, you will not be punished in any way for using this or any other Unforgivable Curse.
You can even use Avada Kedavra during assignments with teachers and in the presence of other staff members, but you will never be reprimanded for doing so.
Enemies cannot use any of the unforgivable curses, including Avada Kedavra.
What if you don’t learn Avada Kedavra?
If you choose not to learn Avada Kedavra from Sebastian, this is not your last chance to learn or use the spell. When you return to the castle, you can visit Sebastian in the basement of the crypt, in the “Defense Against the Dark Arts Class” and ask to learn it.
The same goes for the rest of the Unforgivable Spells.
If you decide to turn Sebastian in before you know the curses, you will lose your ability to learn them!
Is Avada Kedavra an instant kill? Yes. In Hogwarts Legacy, as in the movies and books, Avada Kedavra instantly kills almost all enemies. But we also found one boss from the side quest that is not instantly killed by Avada Kedavra, which we assume is because he has to survive for the final quest scene, but using Avada Kedavra reduces the boss’ health to zero.